Thursday, February 4, 2010

An Epic Battle - The First Of Many!

So.. I've been working really hard to catch a paycheck sometime in the near future. To hold that magical piece of paper in my hand will give me almost as much happiness as dropping a "big" five ruppee coin into the piggy bank did at one point of time in my deluded childhood! I say deluded not in a negative sense, of course I could use words like delirious or hyper-imaginative which would be more accurate adjectives, but in retrospect I firmly believe the happiness in your childhood is directly propotional to your delusion! I, I was as happy as those lil yellow butterflies we would chase around (sorry?)and as deluded as a cookie!(Yes, cookies are highly deluded, explain why they sit pretty and smell nice just to crumble down your throat?)

Anyway, I had an interesting interview lined up the other morning, but the journey there turned out to be far more interesting than the interview itself!! The journey from point A to point B involved three modes of public transport - Autorickshaw, local train and taxi! You might think that taking a direct cab would make life easy but thats a whole different ball game!
The interview was scheduled for 11am, which is a decent hour but for the suburban population! One has to wake up before the sun, shower before the taps run dry and then get ready for the marathon till town! Breakfast anyone?

TEA: So I catch a rick, breathe, traffic jam 1, smoke a cig, sigh, traffic jam 2, smoke a cig, sweat, swear, traffic jam 3, contemplate lighting another cig, give the beggar a few coins (yes, coins, collecting good karma!)and finally reach the station!
TOAST: Now I've already spent 45 mins getting to the station and I dont want to be late for the interview which is still oh so far away, standing in the que to buy a tickect is certainly gonna set me back, so i contemplate NOT buying a ticket and just hoppin on, but the conscience (which is really a double faced fellow!)starts off about how that measley 6 bucks could boomerang into bad karma and kill any chance I might have at cracking the interview! So I stand in the que, buy the damn ticket and head to the platform where throngs of people wait to lunge into the already bursting compartments. I wait, train 1 arrives, the masses pile in, pile out, pull, push, squeeze, squash, train leaves. I am still standing right there, numb. Ok so precious time is wasting, I decide to stand closer to the edge so i can hop in before i get manhandled! Train 2 arrives, repeat previous scene with slightly more drama (its possible)women are half in half out, hanging on to dear life, train leaves with this poor lady's handbag and dupatta but unfortunately not her, running besides the train she yanks her dupatta while someone throws her bag out! Wow.. I am standing a good distance away from the ruccus.. with my mouth wide open! Ok this is so not amusing, I need to be on my way. I summon my courage and think of what the great Bruce Lee said, “The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be.”(!) I calmly zip up my bag, make sure my phone is safely inside, crack my knuckles and get ready, standing at the very edge of the platform I wait for train 3, if all goes well the wave of commuters will push me right in and without much effort I will end up exactly where I ougt to be! Train 3 arrives, and yes I am shoved right in, Bingo! Inside i am elbowed, kneed and kicked (its ok, happens all the time! yuks!). My handbag however is not quite as lucky, it is easily occupying atleast 2 persons space and this is not well received by the janta. Let me tell you its not a fucking trolley, its just a normal sized handbag! To avoid further molestation of my leather tote, I put it down between my feet and stand my ground firmly. I am in the moving train and that's all that matters! Mission accomplished.
PIECE OF CAKE: My station arrives and I get out feeling exhilerated!! Hahahahhh' Yep, you heard it right, not destroyed but pumping with adrenaline, smug and victorious! I made it! I proceed to exit, catch a cab and feel like I've just won an epic battle and am on way to claim my throne!=)

And so exactly 2 hours after leaving home I arrive at my destination bang on time!! As I am sitting in the reception and waiting to be called, I have just one small worry, if I do land the job (which God willing I will), I will have to do this each and every workday till I get paid enough to buy a car and hire a chauffer, which might possibly be never!! Well, lets just hope the amusement remains long after the novelty wears off!

6 Comments:

Blogger Pallavi Shahi said...

Loved the description....totally...:) the way you presented each and every moment I could actually visualize you going thru it all and believe me the text reflects ur positive attitude and the knack for taking facts, feelings and life in general with a pinch of salt beautifully... really happy to hear you rant this ways...wat more to say than...bring in on gurl...eagerly waiting for more from ur side :)

March 1, 2010 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger Gyan Chawdhary said...

I love women with cute faces and sweaty crotches !!! too bad, they always gotta be on the wrong side of the platform to be noticed lol

ps - nice post, a bit too long for the pace your trying to describe :P

March 6, 2010 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger racheal said...

I love it !!!! i love it!!!! cant wait for the next one!!! written veryy well!!!

March 26, 2010 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Collective Psyche said...

u Write? wow....so well??

April 27, 2010 at 3:04 AM  
Blogger Cerebral emulsion said...

amazing is n understatement, rang so many bells in my head.

July 12, 2011 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger jagadish vidyasagar said...

like it...

October 2, 2011 at 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home